Saturday, July 4, 2009

Palin stepping down this month...


Well if you havn't heard the shocking news yet today, Alaskan governor Sarah Palin has announced that she will step down as Alaska's chief executive by the end of the month. She will not seek election to a second gubernatorial term in 2010. If you never heard of her name before, she was first elected as governor in 2006. She was then chosen as Arizona Sen. John McCain's vice presidential running mate last year.

Im going to be honest here now and I have never really heared her name before until last year's presidential campaign. And I believe not many people did either both on the Republican and Democrats side of the party. Thats why there were a lot of people who were surprised when John McCain picked her as his running mate, apart from her being a female of course. Nobody had expected her name to be selected, she wasnt even mentioned in the possible list of candidates until the day she was officially announced as McCain's running mate of course. As the campaign went on, I started to have a slight interest in her. I hope you dont get me wrong here. I was supporting Barack Obama to win the election from the start and I have no regrets about it now that he has won the election but at the same time, I was beginning to become more interested in Mrs Palin because of the way she deals with the problems and challenges and because of what she believes in. It didnt get to the point though that I like the both of them, Mr Obama and Mrs Palin that I couldnt choose which candidate I would like to see win the election. From the start, I knew Obama will be a great president, in which I believe he has already shown that in these first few months of his presidency but after the presidential race had ended, I had a soft spot for Palin in my heart and I have been following her developments even more closely since.

Therefore, it is understandable why I am feeling shocked by the news of her resignation and some disappointment as well to be honest. In her farewell speech, she didnt really say specifically the reasons why she has decided to step down. A lot of people have been throwing out possible reasons for the move. She only said that this decision has been in the works for a while and that she plans on working for all Americans, not just Alaskans. Im not sure what she really mean by that but your interpretation of that is as good as mine. For me, I think she is stepping down because she wants to get a head start on her next presidential campaign which will be in 2012. Many people is expecting her to do just that but Im not sure if they still have the same opinion of her after hearing this news, but I do. OK, maybe her resume isnt that impressive yet if she decides to run for the 2012 presidential campaign. She has only been the Governor of Alaska for merely 2 years. Nevertheless, I think she have left a lot of good impression these last 2 years and there are still 3 more years left to go before the next election. Anything can happen for sure.

Whatever her reasons are for stepping down, I am fully behind her and will continue to do so. I believe great things are awaiting for her in the future, it is just a matter of time before we hear news of her comeback whether it is in 2012 or earlier than that. I do hope that she will run for the election in 2012, its not that I want to see Obama losing but it would be very interesting to see what will happen if she would be the one who is going to challenge Obama. If that happen, my support will definitely be on Obama again, unless he does something crazy that might take away my support from him. However having said that, it will not diminish my support and admiration I have for Palin. Until then, we will just have to wait and see. Oh and for all my American friends, Happy Independence Day.

No comments: